15 April, 2009

Abused Women, why do they stay?

Who Needs Counseling? 
Counseling is sometimes perceived as a "last resort," rather than a valuable source of help.

Changed or Not Changed? 
If you're in an abusive relationship, here are some signs indicating whether he has or has not changed his ways.

Helping a Domestic Violence Victim
If you know someone who might be a victim of domestic violence, here's how you can help.

How to Be an Anchor in the Storm 
One of the reasons a battered woman is finally able to leave an abusive relationship is because she has someone who acts as her anchor in the storm. Here are some ideas that may help you help someone else.

How to Help an Abused Wife 
When an abused woman reveals her life with you, you are just seeing the tip of the iceberg. Here how to help someone who is experiencing domestic violence.

Question and Answer

Why do abused women often stay, rather than just flee the situation?

The answer given in the 1920s to this question was that battered women were of low intelligence or mentally retarded. In the '40s it was determined that women did not leave because they were masochistic.

Click here to continue reading Answer

2 comments:

  1. You have a great blog with a lot of info. that I know will help many women who are in these situations.

    Blessings, Jamey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in an abusive relationship for seven years.
    I am out of it for sixteen years and it still affects my life. The one question that people ask me, that is so upsetting to me is: why did you stay?? why did I stay??? It's simple, if you try to leave they will kill you. They will come to where ever you are and cause havoc on the person or people who are trying to help you. I have been kidnapped at gunpoint, tie up and held against my will, I have been shot at, he physically destroyed my car outside my parents home while in the drive way. He ran me off the road into a canal. He found out where the secret women's shelter was and came there harassing me from outside the gates. Ask Nicole Simpson, Oh That's Right, She's DEAD!!!
    People please take this abuse seriously. It destroys women and their children. The way out is grim and tough, but I finally did it.
    He finally got what he deserved from God, he is paralized, can't speak or walk. He can never hurt another women or call her names, again. His hands are paralized too!

    ReplyDelete